Robert M. Kirby, the cartoonist behind Curbside and Boy Trouble, respected critic, and writer for The Comics Journal has chosen Tyler Cohen’s Primahood: Magenta as one of his Top 20 Comics of 2016! Also on his list this year are books by friends of SDP, MariNaomi and Tony Breed!
Thank you, Rob, for your consideration and support!
The Queer Heroes Coloring Book is now available on our site and at Amazon! It’s perfect for the queer adult coloring enthusiast on your holiday shopping list!
In other colorful news, on January 12th, Jon Macy and I will be at the main branch of the San Francisco Public Library for the Diverse Heroes Coloring Books event! Sample coloring pages and coloring supplies will be provided to all who attend, and we’ll have plenty of copies of the coloring book and other SDP titles for sale as well.
If you live in the Bay Area, please join us for this special event!
Come out to the first ever Palm Springs Comic Con this weekend at the Hard Rock Hotel November 19th and 20th! Stacked Deck Press titles will be available at the Prism Comics table at booth 23! Get your copies of Calogrenant, ALPHABET, Primahood: Magenta, and the Queer Heroes Coloring Book at this very special show!
STACKED DECK PRESS is pleased to announce We’re Still Here, our forthcoming anthology of comics by transgender cartoonists, edited by Tara Avery (coeditor of ALPHABET with Jon Macy) and Jeanne Thornton (copublisher of Instar Books)!
Our goal is to present work 100 percent conceived and executed by trans artists, showcasing the breadth of themes, genres, and approaches trans people are taking to comics work today. And if you’re a trans person who makes comics (or would like to), we’re definitely interested in seeing what you’ve got to offer.
Confirmed contributors thus far include:
- Christianne Benedict (The Exile of Natalie Rios)
- Anna Archie Bongiovanni (Grease Bats)
- Dylan Edwards (Transposes)
- Mia Rose Elbo (Becoming Me)
- Melanie Gillman (As the Crow Flies)
- E Hetrick Jackson (Pretty Heart Bouquet, Love Bite)
- Sophie Labelle (Assigned Male)
- Winter Lake
- Sybil Lamb (Lost Little Girl Show, I’ve Got a Time Bomb)
- Knave Murdok (TransCat)
- Annie Mok (Swim thru Fire, Florals)
- Ronnie Ritchie (GQutie)
- Morgan Sea (Misgendered!)
- Christine Smith (The Princess, Eve’s Apple)
- Bishakh Som (Apsara Engine)
- Scout Tran-Caffee (Failing Sky)
- Bis Thornton (Keys & Doors)
If you’re a cartoonist who identifies as trans, we definitely would like to consider running work from you! Here are some details:
- We’re buying new work rather than reprints. Ideally we’d like to work with you on the editorial process for it rather than buying already-completed pieces, but happy to consider those too!
- The page rate starts at $20, and will go higher depending on Kickstarter funding results. Full color art. Art will be printed at 6 x 9, so original art needs to be proportionate to this & at least 300 dpi.
- We’re considering pieces from 1–8 pages long, but to make sure we have room for as many people as possible, you’re advised that the shorter your piece, the likelier your chances. 🙂
- Trans creators of color to the front of the line.
- To be in this anthology, you should be comfortable identifying as transgender. We’re not the identity police, so we’re committed to taking you at your word about this. (If you’re a trans creator in the closet and looking for a fantastic coming out vehicle, we humbly invite you aboard this train. J)
- There’s no explicit theme (other than “stuff trans people are interested in.”) If possible, we’re looking for work with a more personal slant and that’s about transness somehow. But we’d also absolutely like to see your horror comics, sci-fi epics, romantic doom comedies, political thrillers, generational sagas, and all other themes. We would like to see everything!
- Adult themes considered, as long as we will not go to jail for selling it at conventions. 🙂
Submissions packages should include:
- A short pitch for your idea OR a full script
- How many pages you’d need
- Roughs/thumbnails for at least 1-2 pages
- Samples of your finished art in the style you’d be using
That’s it—the rest is up to you! Please direct submission packages to email@example.com by January 9, 2017. And please spread the word about this call for submissions (and our upcoming Kickstarter.) We look forward to hearing from you!
Tara Avery & Jeanne Thornton
Stacked Deck Press will be at the 2016 Alternative Press Expo this October 8th and 9th at the San Jose Convention Center! Come see ALPHABET editor Jon Macy, ALPHABET contributor Dorian Katz, Primahood: Magenta cartoonist Tyler Cohen, and me at table 443! We’ll have all your favorite SDP titles on offer and our exclusive QUILTBAG tote bags! If you’re in the Bay Area, don’t miss this very special event!
This October 1st come see Stacked Deck Press at the 2016 Free State Comicon in Lawrence, Kansas at the 4-H Fairgrounds! We will have on offer all your favorite SDP titles including, Calogrenant, ALPHABET, and Primahood: Magenta! I will also be selling sketches of your favorite characters. If you live in the Kansas City or Lawrence metro areas, please support this delightful local show.